Thursday, August 11, 2011

Diapers, iPod and chocolate cake


People tell you that parenthood is a crazy thing; that life as you know it will completely change; that from sunrise to sunset you are no longer in control. Although I felt I was as ready as one could be, especially with my extensive 31 years of preparation for this moment, I didn't really know that every single aspect of my existence would be controlled by a 7-pound, chubby-cheeked insomniac. Granted, I do love her even more than a pistachio covered chocolate profiterole next to a succulent Crepe Suzette; that may be the reason either one of us is still in that house. But there's absolutely no college course, no interplanetary internship or even heavenly visitation that could truly prepare you for the change. It's like carefully planning to be broad sided. Just not very effective.

So much has changed overnight in my perspective, actions, priorities and even lifestyle. For example, my paradoxical appreciation and complete disgust for diapers has increased one hundred fold. I could even write a complete novel about my love-hate relationship with that plastic based miracle. I love its endurance and almost certain reliability. But the contents of the package are continually evolving into more than what I would ever want to handle. Some of you may say: "Oh, just wait until she's a toddler. You ain't seen nothing yet, buddy." I'll just take my time and slowly ease into the more awful stage of this whole process.

Sometimes I wonder what is really happening to the Mrs. and I. Last week we went to the grocery store and bought a calorie-filled, preservative based, prepackaged chocolate cake. This is the very first time we have ever done something so absurd. This is very much not like us. Have we no self control anymore? Or is this just a nonsensical knee jerk reaction to sleep deprivation?

Our newly bought iPod Classic, which actually blasted Rhapsody in Blue when the little one was introduced to planet earth, has played nothing but a consistent hum I purchased for 99 cents called "Brown Noise for Babies". So much for storing our eclectic 40 GB collection of tunes.

It sounds like I'm griping, doesn't it? It's far from what I'm trying to do. I would give up iPods, iPads, clean shirts, desserts or precious REM hours of sleep, as long as I got to meet that beautiful little dark haired princess. I've embraced the change, conformed to mayhem and loved every minute of it. Thanks Livy for turning my world upside down. It's a much better world this way.

5 comments:

  1. I think my smile got bigger and bigger with each word you wrote. No one can realy understand what parenthood is like until they have "been there, done that." There is a reason we get bags under our eyes once we have kids. ;)
    I welcome you to the club of normal people gone crazy. :)It is a fun club!! You will love it!! And when Olivia turns two, I will welcome you to the Club of crazy people gone insane. :) (it just gets better and better)
    That picture is priceless!! I soooo can't wait to see that little girl in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are calling her Livy. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Parenthood is pretty incredible, isn't it? I remember being amazed after Rylee was born, at this new, incredibly powerful kind of love I was now experiencing, which was (in some ways) so different and so much stronger than any other love I had ever felt. And it just keeps getting better!

    Andrea - I love it! The club of normal people gone crazy, and the club of crazy people gone insane? lol! I wonder what club we get to join when our kids become teenagers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true, y'all. It's something you can only understand when you experience it. Just no way to really describe it to a non-parent. And Katy, she became Livy as soon as we picked the name. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHHH Fernando! I loved it! Realmente é um evento maravilhoso e SO WORTH IT!!!! Por isso q o meu lema é: the more the merrier :) Casa cheia é o meu objetivo!!!!!
    I'm so happy for you guys. Will Candace allow pictures now? I wanna know the birth story!!!!I know she was terrified of labor! :)
    beijinhos
    Babi e cia

    ReplyDelete